Q&A: Horseback Riding

A few people have asked me to share about my horseback riding lessons.  So I hope this is helpful.

My first time on/around horses. May 2008
What got you started?
The first time I ever rode a horse was for my birthday in 2008.  It was a little intimidating at first because horses are such massive, albeit majestic, creatures.  We took a private ride and our guide let us canter and gallop.  I loved it! The thrill of riding is like nothing else, I honestly felt like I was flying.  The day after this ride, I was so sore - my abs especially.  I knew that riding would be a fun way to exercise, so I decided to take lessons.  

Lessons?
I was busy planning my wedding, so I didn't take lessons right away. After our wedding and getting settled after we moved, I researched riding lessons in my area. Horseback riding can be a very expensive, yet rewarding sport to participate in.  Since I live in a rural area, the rate ranged from $25 - $45 for group lessons, or $30 - $55 for private lessons. The length of the lesson can range from 30 minutes to 1 hour. I needed to have flexibility with my lesson schedule, so I opted for private 1 hour lessons.


Western saddle, tan stretchy pants and rain boots
What do you wear to ride?
When I first started Western riding lessons, I wore tan stretchy pants with black rain boots.  Since riding can get expensive, I needed to be certain I would love it before I made the financial commitment.  Once I decided to switch to English riding, I invested in proper riding equipment. Now, I have a couple pairs of riding breeches and tall leather riding boots. 

The cost of breeches range from $50 - $200+.  Riding boots can range from $100 - $1000+. I wear various types of shirts - polos, long sleeve shirts, etc. depending on the weather. My helmet is provided by my instructor, but I plan to get my own soon. Of course, I cover my hair with a satin scarf to protect it  while under the helmet.  
English saddle, breeches and tall riding boots
Aren't you afraid?
Honestly, no... much to the chagrin of my husband LOL. I have a healthy awareness of the horses' power. I always wear a helmet and I recognize the inherent danger with being around a 1000lbs animal.  I read about horses everyday, ask every question that comes to mind, and watch videos on riding technique and horse behavior. I even joined an online horse forum, which works much like hair forums (i.e. you get to share your story and get advice). I also have a wonderful horse mentor, whom I "met" through my blog.  She is a reader who has extensive horse experience and she has given me critique based on videos of my lessons.

Benefits of riding?
Great exercise, especially cardio and strengthening for the core and lower body.  Riding is also a great stress reliever.  I get to quiet my mind when I'm riding. Horses are very sensitive to our emotions. If you're anxious they will sense it; if you're confident they will know. You always have to be mentally present when you ride.  Especially if you want to be a "driver" and not merely a "passenger" on the horse. 

When I started riding, I felt self conscious at starting in my late 20s.  Most riders have been riding since they were 5 years old. Then one day, I met another rider and she shared that she started riding at 45 years old. She is now 63 and still rides 3 days a week. She is in fabulous shape and I was shocked to learn her age. Unlike ballet, which reminds me that my body isn't 12 anymore, horseback riding doesn't care how old you are. If you put in the work, you will learn and improve. I am no longer self conscious.  

Equestrian Jumper Paige Johnson (daughter of B.E.T. founders)
[Image Source]
Goals?
My first goal is to learn effective horsemanship skills and proper riding technique. After I've mastered the basics, I want to take Jumping lessons. There are various equestrian competitions and I'm open-minded to competing in the future. Eventually I want to own my own horse(s), but first I plan to lease my lesson horse, hopefully sometime this year.  

There is much more to horseback riding, but I tried to keep this brief and basic. If you are even remotely interested in riding, I strongly urge you to try it.  Are you new to horseback riding? Or are you a full-fledged equestrian? Please share your experiences.  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Powered by Blogger