Wigs and Working Out

Now that my winter wig regimen is in full swing, I've had to decide how to wear my hair when I exercise.  I'll share what I do and then I'll offer some alternative suggestions.

For ballet class: I remove the wig, unbraid the cornrows, and put my hair in a high bun.  Last winter, I actually wore my wig to ballet class, but I've changed my routine because the old wig was synthetic and this wig is 100% human hair.  Human hair wigs (like real human hair) will hold odors from sweating.

For horseback riding: I remove the wig, unbraid the cornrows, and put my hair in a low bun.  I always wear a helmet when I go riding and I would be hard pressed to fit my cornrowed hair under a helmet.  I'd rather not get a headache from the helmet squeezing the wig, my cornrows, and my head.

Fortunately, my ballet class is on Thursdays and I go riding on Fridays and Sundays.  So after I remove the cornrows on Thursday, I do a few plaits instead of re-cornrowing my hair.  I'm still able to fit my real hair under the wig.  I then wash my hair on Sunday night, cornrow, and restart the process.



If you prefer to remove your wig while exercising:

  • Use a scarf to cover your cornrows.  Most people who visit the gym, go a few times a week and having to remove the cornrows (like I do) might be too time consuming.  
  • If your own hair is sweaty, let it dry completely before you put the wig back on.
If you prefer to wear the wig while you workout:
  • Make sure to let it dry throughly and either spray it with a hair refresher or wipe it with a dryer sheet to combat foul odors.
  • Make sure the wig is comfortable.  If your wig is a little snug on your head, it might give you a headache after you've been working out.  
  • Avoid potentially embarrassing situations by using extra hairpins to keep the wig secure.  You may be the super star of the yoga class, but the last thing you need is for the wig to fall off during the downward facing dog pose.
Ultimately, your wig should not prevent you from your usual workout routine.  If you feel that your wig is stopping you from exercising, let me know and I'll try to help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Powered by Blogger