How I found a ray of light at the Miley Cyrus show

05 November, 2009

Yes, I have my own Miley Cyrus light stick. No, it is not my 9-year-old daughter's. She has her own. She has one and I have one. No, it was not a waste of money. I have two reasons why it wasn't.

To be honest, I had planned for my wife to take our 9-year-old, Emily, to the Miley Cyrus concert last month. My role was supposed to be ticket provider and enthusiastic audience for the stories about the concert. However, the new ticketless ticket plan required that the person who purchased the ticketless tickets (that was me) present the credit card used to buy said tickets (that would be mine) and show ID that matched the name on the credit card in order to gain access to the concert.

This seemingly complicated concept was implemented to thwart scalpers. It also thwarted dads who wanted to provide a Miley Cyrus experience but were more than content to let others enjoy the experience while they stayed at home. Yes, ticketless tickets ended my plans to enjoy the concert vicariously. Instead, I was going to experience Miley firsthand.

Emily was beside herself. She had seen Miley's last trip through town -- back when tickets were something you could actually hold, sell and lose -- and was even more excited to see her this time. I like to think it was because I was going with her, but I think it had more to do with the fact that she knew more of what to expect this time.

I've heard many a parent complain about being dragged to concerts like these. You won't hear me complain. Over the years I have been dragged to boring lectures, weddings of people I don't know and, worst of all, chamber music recitals. Sort of puts it into perspective, doesn't it?

As we made our way up to the cheap seats, we passed several souvenir stands. We found the one with the shortest line and took our place. There were shirts, programs, hats, bandanas and light sticks. I am a sucker for this sort of thing. I bought Emily a shirt, a program and a light stick.

"What about you, Dad?"

Emily was so sweet and sincere. I couldn't tell her that a 45-year-old man wearing a Miley Cyrus T-shirt sets a new definition for creepy. I glanced up at the wall, thought about it and said, "Give us another one of those light sticks."

Emily smiled.

The light sticks cost $10 each. So why do I consider it not to be a waste of money? Two reasons.

Reason one: I got 10 dollars' worth of enjoyment out of it. Emily and I played Star Wars before the concert. We synchronized our light sticks and swung them around for the entire concert. The fun we had was priceless.

Reason two: I'm still using it. I wear my Miley Cyrus light stick for safety when I walk the dogs in the early morning. When I take my dogs out for the one-thousandth time, the light stick will have only cost me 1 cent per outing.

One of life's greatest skills is being able to justify anything.

source: www.mysanantonio.com





Next >>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Powered by Blogger